Primo water dispensers are convenient for enjoying filtered water right from your home or office. But like any frequently used appliance, they require periodic cleaning to keep them fresh and prevent potential mold or bacteria buildup.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll provide a step-by-step method for how to clean a Primo water dispensers. Following these best practices will keep your Primo dispenser in optimal shape.
How to Clean a Primo Water Dispenser
- Clean every 3-6 months or whenever replacing bottle
- Unplug before cleaning interior components
- Remove mineral buildup with vinegar or citric acid
- Sanitize with hydrogen peroxide or bleach solution
- Always rinse thoroughly after cleaning
Why It’s Important to Clean a Primo Water Dispenser
Here are the top reasons you should clean your Primo water dispenser regularly:
- Removes bacteria – Cleaning helps prevent mold and bacteria growth over time.
- Eliminates mineral deposits – Removes limescale buildup from constant water flow.
- Clears clogs – Prevents mineral clogging of spigot and tubing.
- Freshens taste – Disinfecting gives clean, pure tasting water.
- Improves flow – Clearing debris allows optimal water dispensing flow.
Take time to clean your Primo dispenser every 3-6 months for the best performance, taste, and safety.
How Often to Clean a Primo Water Dispenser
We recommend a thorough cleaning of your Primo water dispenser every 3-6 months. Follow these guidelines for your cleaning frequency:
- Clean when replacing bottles for new ones
- Clean when you notice reduced flow from the spigot
- Clean when water tastes or smells unpleasant
- Clean models used in office/public settings every 1-2 months
For home dispensers, coordinating cleaning when you get a new Primo bottle delivered is a convenient way to remember.
>> Read more: How to clean a Black and Decker Coffee Maker
How to Clean a Primo Bottleless Water Dispenser
Bottleless Primo dispensers connect directly to a water line. Follow these steps to clean them:
- Unplug the dispenser from power source before cleaning.
- Shut off water supply valve and disconnect dispenser line.
- Wipe down exterior with a microfiber cloth and mild detergent.
- Remove filter and clean per manufacturer instructions, if present.
- Clean interior by running 2 cups of vinegar through dispenser, followed by 4 cups of clean water rinse.
- Use a soft brush reach into nozzle area and clean with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda paste.
- Rinse thoroughly before reconnecting to water supply and power.
Take extra care to fully rinse the vinegar from bottleless models before use.
Tips for Cleaning Primo Bottleless Dispensers
- Never submerge base or electrical parts in water.
- Disconnect from power and water supply before cleaning interior.
- Avoid harsh abrasives that could scratch dispenser surfaces.
- Always rinse thoroughly with clean water after cleaning.
How to Clean a Primo Bottled Water Dispenser
For bottled Primo dispensers:
- Unplug dispenser before cleaning.
- Remove and empty water bottle.
- Wipe down exterior with mild cleaner and damp cloth.
- Remove nozzle/spigot and soak in equal parts water and vinegar solution for 15 minutes.
- Scrub interior reservoir with soft brush and hot water and baking soda solution.
- Rinse reservoir and nozzle thoroughly before replacing.
- Sanitize empty bottle with diluted bleach solution, rinse and air dry before refilling.
Be sure to get into the corners of the reservoir when scrubbing to fully sanitize the interior.
>> Read more: Do Tide Pods expire
Primo Bottled Dispenser Cleaning Tips
- Clean reservoirs have smooth sides and avoid using abrasive brushes.
- Fully air dry reservoir and nozzle before reassembling dispenser.
- Replace bottles that have noticeable odor or mold growth.
- Rinse bottle thoroughly with hot water after sanitizing with bleach solution.
How to Clean Primo Water Dispenser Nozzle and Spigot
Follow this process to properly clean the dispenser nozzle and spigot:
- Unplug the dispenser before cleaning the spigot.
- Twist and remove spigot from the dispenser head.
- Soak nozzle in equal parts hot water and white vinegar for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse nozzle under running water while scrubbing with a small brush.
- Wipe down spigot exterior with microfiber cloth and all-purpose cleaner.
- Reinsert the nozzle and spigot into the dispenser head.
Repeat the soak if you see stubborn mineral deposits on the nozzle or opening. Be sure to fully rinse and dry before reassembling.
How to Clean Primo Water Dispenser Reservoir
Follow these steps to clean and sanitize the reservoir of your Primo dispenser:
- Unplug dispenser and empty water reservoir if present.
- Remove reservoir from dispenser to fully access sides and bottom.
- Clean interior surfaces with hot water, mild detergent, and a soft brush.
- Rinse reservoir thoroughly with hot, clean water to remove all soap.
- Sanitize by spraying hydrogen peroxide or diluted bleach solution. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Rinse again with hot water and air dry before refilling reservoir.
Take extra care to fully rinse away any cleaning solutions to prevent contaminated water.
>> Read more: Does Laundry detergent expire
How to Remove Mineral Buildup in a Primo Dispenser
To effectively remove limescale and mineral buildup:
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water. Pour into water reservoir.
- Run vinegar solution through dispenser spigot to clean interior.
- Soak nozzle, spigot, and any removable pieces in vinegar solution for 15-30 minutes.
- Scrub with a soft brush or cloth before rinsing.
- Always rinse thoroughly with clean water after descaling.
For routine maintenance, run vinegar through the dispenser every 3-6 months to prevent mineral buildup.
How to Sanitize a Primo Water Dispenser
To fully sanitize and disinfect your Primo dispenser:
- Wash removable pieces like nozzle and reservoir with hot water and mild detergent after descaling.
- Rinse dispenser reservoir, nozzle, and exterior with clean water.
- Spray or wipe interior surfaces with hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, or diluted bleach solution.
- Let disinfecting solution sit on surfaces for 5-10 minutes before rinsing.
- Air dry fully before refilling dispenser with fresh water.
Always rinse surfaces thoroughly that come into contact with water to avoid contamination.
Primo Water Dispenser Cleaning Tips
Follow these tips and best practices when cleaning your Primo water dispenser:
- Never submerge or wet electrical components when cleaning.
- Always unplug before cleaning interior of dispenser.
- Wear gloves when using harsh cleaners like bleach.
- Disinfect water bottles before refilling to prevent bacteria.
- Dry all components fully before reassembling dispenser.
Regular cleaning keeps your Primo dispenser in top shape for delivering fresh, clean water every time.
Safely Enjoy Clean Water from Your Primo Dispenser
While essential, how to clean a primo water dispensers is a straightforward process. By sanitizing and removing buildup every 3-6 months, you can ensure your Primo dispenser reliably delivers refreshing water.
Refer to these steps and tips the next time your Primo dispenser needs a refresh. Proper maintenance promotes healthy water and optimized performance from this convenient kitchen appliance.